Announcing AudioCortex for AudioFinder (coming soon!)

AudioCortex for AudioFinder

Coming soon! I have been working on this feature for years. What is it?

The biggest problem is we all have is trying to manage millions of sounds with generic names like “sound123.wav” and/or no embedded metadata to describe the sound. How do you know what it is unless you listen to it? How can you listen to it if you have millions of sounds? How many years would it take to play all your sounds? AudioFinder can find all your sounds, but up until now unless they had embedded metadata or useful file/folder names it didn’t know what they were sounds of. This is the holy grail of audio sample management, the quest I have been on for a long time.

It’s taken me years to get the right machine learning algorithm working and I think I finally have it solved. Now I’m busy training it to be able to auto classify sounds into useful categories.

And what should those categories even be? To start off with it will do obvious things, like drum loops, pianos, guitars and etc… Over time I hope to get precise enough to tell even more about the sound.

How will it work? It will be part of AudioFinder and the feature is called AudioCortex (the brain). It will require Mojave or newer, sorry the older OS versions are not up to the task. It does need a fast computer as well.

Because this is radically new way to find sounds, the UI for it in AudioFinder is going to have to evolve overtime as we develop new workflows.

This is the big feature I’ve been hinting about for a few years and the reason why I’ve decided to spend most of my coding time devoted to this instead of other things.

I’ll update you all as I get closer to releasing it.

You might ask how much is the upgrade fee? It will be free like every AudioFinder update since 2003! You will not find another product for macOS that has lived since 2003 and never charged a single upgrade fee.

4 Likes

Wow, looking forward to that!

You might ask how much is the upgrade fee? It will be free like every AudioFinder update since 2003! You will not find another product for macOS that has lived since 2003 and never charged a single upgrade fee.

Precisely the reason I’ll likely be donating a few more bucks as soon as I can.
I appreciate all your hard work ice.

1 Like

I’m very close to have this ready for Beta. It will be a stand alone app you integrate with AudioFinder. As AudioFinder users you get it for free, but I’ll also sell it on the Apple App store as it’s own thing.

It will the first desktop app to do certain things never before seen.

To be clear AudioCortex will be a new app that focuses on finding sounds. It uses machine learning to understand your sounds at a deep level, so you don’t need to listen to the sounds, have tags or even have proper file names.

If you give it a sound called “sound.aiff” and the sound has no metadata at all, AudioCortex can tell you what it sounds like. Read that again. Now imagine it looking at every sound on your computer and surfacing what they sound like. Imagine you have a million sounds on your computer and most of them don’t have descriptive file names or embedded metadata. You cannot listen to all your sounds, if you have a million sounds as I’ve described it’s not humanly possibly to make use of them.

I realized that adding the database and tagging and all that stuff is too much work to do. You don’t want to do all this categorizing work, you want to find sounds. I realized that I could keep adding features to AudioFinder and end up making it more and more complex and not solve the core problem. Finding sounds. This is why I’ve spent the last few years on this mission.

It’s very close to release time. I’ve fine tuning the algorithms right now.

I’ve started a new area for this http://forum.icedaudio.com/c/audiocortex