AudioFinder too complex for you? I got you

AudioFinder has been out for about 20 years and accumulated a lot of features. That gives it a steep learning curve.

The new AudioCortex feature can be used as a simpler replacement for AudioFinder.

Simply drag your sounds to it and AudioCortex will classify them based on its machine leaning model. Save your lists and search.

17%20AM
Access AudioCortex by clicking this button.

Also check-out this nice Spectrogram

How much did this Big Sur upgrade cost you? $0.
Every version of macOS since it was released has been supported by free updates. There are very few developers who’ve kept the free update promise as long as Iced Audio. Please help me continue by spreading the word. I don’t advertise, I count on your to help.

1 Like

Thank you! I will do what I can. I really like AudioFinder but I never really used the cataloging feature, the thought of sorting through all my partially categorized audio files is just too daunting. Audio Cortex appeals to me, I almost bought a dedicated AI audio organizer app until I saw you were working on one. I can definitely do what I can to let people know about AudioFinder.

It opens up to the manual when you first use it. Please read that over. It explains the logic behind it. Sounds are categorized into groups as to how you might use them. It also displays categories it’s trained on when you open it. This all runs on your desktop and doesn’t need an internet connection. I listened to a million sounds and hand categorized them to train it. Took me a very very very long time.

Moreover it has its own sidebar where you can save collections

2 Likes

First off, I’m extremely excited about where this software is headed and ever since I recently purchased a copy of AudioFinder, I have only been thrilled at how much it has inspired by workflow and the whole creative process. It is just as integral to my approach as the DAW I use or the synths I run. Just wanted to say thanks and I intend to continue supporting the project monetarily - especially with the roll out of AudioCortex.

Now, I do have a question. I have updated to 6.0.3 recently but I am seemingly still not able to access the AudioCortex feature. No extra window pops up, no scan takes place, etc. I am not sure why. I do get a message each time I click on either the AudioCortex button on the top right toolbar or from the right-click menu, which I have included below:

Perhaps I am doing something wrong, but I can’t seem to figure out what that might be!

Thanks again and thanks for any help. aAnd apologies if I have missed something super obvious here.

Regards,

L

Are you using macOS 10.14 or newer?

Ah-ha! I knew I was missing something obvious! 10.13, sadly for me. Thanks for the quick response, in any case.

Cheers

You should an alert telling you this. How did you try and open it? What menu/button did you tap?

I get the same nondescript pop-up when I click either the top-right corner AudioCortex icon as well as the AI menu option when right-clicking a given sample.

Screen Shot 2020-10-19 at 5.26.43 PM

Sigh, this is Apple for you. What happened it the code that checks for what version of the OS you are running changed and it’s not picking up you on are on Mojave or greater. I just fixed that for 6.0.4 which I’ll release little later today.

Sorry. I’m trying to keep AudioFinder running on older OS versions but Apple most definitely doesn’t want you to not update. They are making it extremely difficult, and when I say extreme I mean really really extreme. In order to even build AudioCortex I needed Mojave, but if I did that internally to AudioFinder you’d not be able to use AudioFinder anymore. So there’s a dynamic check for the OS version and it should show you an alert and to make matters worse the API they have to tell me the version you are running was changed and it’s very complicated.

1 Like

I’m actually not even seeing the AC icon in AF 6. I’m on 10.15.6. Is there a preference I may have to tick?

Your version is old, it was my early release…

download a new one here: https://icedaudio.com/AudioFinder6.dmg

This update also fixed the other things you emailed me about. You need 6.0.4

Thank you for this exciting update! I will try this as soon as possible.

1 Like

You’re welcome. I have some chores to do before the next serious of updates

1. Video Tutorials
  2. Porting this to work on ARM Macs

For the next few months, I’ll be doing mostly bug fix updates.

Just an update… Yo were right, I had an older version. After updating to the latest everything is working as it should and I see the AC icon.

BTW, seeing AC in action I now see why your version is different. This is basically like an automated way of spitting out a spreadsheet, similar to what some post FX sample libraries include. Really useful implementation…

Is the idea that eventually we could choose to have AC embed these for us, or will that always be a separate process via tags?

I’m still thinking thru how to best do this. I’ve toyed with embedding them. The prolbem with embedded is the file format for audio is not great when adding this kind of stuff. It can cause the audio file to be rewritten and have a different fingerprint and confuse DAWs that think it’s changed.

What most people don’t know is years back before I added the database to AudioFinder I made a version the embedded tags in a file, it worked OK for AudioFinder, but I found ProTools projects would see the same files, but with new tags as unlinked. That scared me away from changing files and so I did a side database instead.

As you know the side database has the project that if you move the files outside of AudioFinder it doesn’t know where they are.

Also note: AC has a sidebar and you can save lists of stuff in there too. It’s like stripped down AudioFinder. Glad you found it useful so far. It took me an insane number of hours and pain to train that machine learning model. Future versions of AC will offer other models for other types of categorization.

Please spread the word about AC? I don’t advertise and am dong these updates for free. Not spending money on advertising helps me not charge for updates.

Is there a way to see markers in AudioFinder that are embedded in WAV files?

The Sample Tool shows them.