Installation lame mp3 encoder

Would anyone happen to know whether there is any additional documentation on installing lame?

Thusfar i have the extracted" lame-3.99.5.tar.gz " file, but it’s full off all sort of files and directories.

Does this folder need to be placed in /usr/local/bin/ and /usr/bin/

How should the installation go, step by step?

http://lame.sourceforge.net/

thanks midiw. while this installation process might make sense for linux users and such. i’m simply wondering if there is a no brainer installation package.
Has anyone installed this lame mp3 encoder without use of the terminal?

Yop, even this is an older thread … I had no luck installing Lame, too!
I tried copying the folder arround, even tried it copying from an working Wavelab installation, no idea :frowning:
Thanks for your help!

lame encoder installation works in 5.9.15
:dizzy:
thx!

This really is irritating. I would like to have MP3 ability and I have tried this multiple times but its very unclear what to do. I download the source code, doesn’t appear to be much in the way of information, you basically have to be a developer to know what to do. I’m very surprised to find only this thread with really no helpful information.

why on earth is this like this?? it seems like this could just be an actual built in feature no? like why would encoding mp3 require hacking in terminal to install??

Because the mp3 file format is patented and the owner the patent charges $$ per copy to build in mp3 encoding. LAME is open source and AudioFinder isn’t doing the encoding, LAME is.