Losing tags when normalizing

If I normalize a file with tags, those tags don’t get copied to the normalized version. Is there a better way to do this?

Hi there, yes I believe this is how Audio Finder functions - It uses non-destructive processing and always creates duplicates. I have managed to find a way around this…

I hate recommending other programmes for people asking for help like this but it’s all I’ve got on this one!

Twisted Wave which is an audio editor has a really great Batch Processing feature. You can normalize files and then have them save over the originals. I simply drag a whole heap of files from Audio Finder into the batch processing in Twisted Wave and hit start.

You can further use it to edit/process files in Audio Finder destructively without losing tags.

They offer a free trial so you can see how it functions - https://twistedwave.com/

AudioFinder makes new files and never overwrites the old ones. There’s a reason, early on people would not back up their sounds and do destructive actions on their files and regret it and then become irate if they realized they didn’t want those changes. I made the decision that AudioFinder treats all changes a new files. I know this can be annoying, but it’s for the larger good.

Thanks, SsnakeintheGrass and Iced. Duplicating files makes sense but having the option to copy over your tags to the new file would be extremely useful. If I have a file with twenty tags and I then normalize the file, I can’t see any scenario where I wouldn’t want those tags to be copied over. Or is that not technically possible?

1 Like